You may be thinking, ” What?! I didn’t know Alex does maternity sessions!!” and you would be correct! I usually do not get to shoot maternity sessions however, long story short, I was contacted by a photographer friend Veronique Photography who reached out to see if I was available to take this session on as she was not able to, and I was! I am so glad I was able to capture this season of Ashley and Jesse’s lives before they welcome their little boy in July.
With lots of chatting back and forth we decided to have their session at Mac’s Apples in Londonderry! I am so thankful they were open to coming to this location. It was such a beautiful place with lots of areas on their grounds we were able to go to and the light was perfect! The night was perfect for a session and I just loved getting to know them and seeing how cute that little bump is!
As I scroll through these images I can’t help but remember being pregnant with Ethan and then again with Henry and wondering how our lives would change when we had one, and then again when we had another. Nothing could have prepared me for the joy that we were about to experience then. Taking these portraits felt so different after experiencing pregnancy myself and I loved it! I don’t miss not being able to see my feet or the sleepless nights and indigestion, but I do miss feeling the movement and kicks inside of me. It’s just such a miracle and a precious season that deserves to be captured! I hope that one day Ashley and Jesse’s sweet baby boy will love seeing these portraits of his momma and daddy together before he was born!!! Enjoy some of my favorites!!
Congratulations! You’re engaged! This is such an exciting time for you, and I am so happy you stopped by! Now that you said YES and shared this exciting news with all of your family and friends, it’s time to get to work! Let the wedding planning begin!
From setting the date and choosing the perfect venue, to the DJ, hiring a wedding planner, deciding to use a rental business and next the wedding photographer, you are in the right place!
As you choose your vendors that fit best for you and your fiancé, you will see that everyone, every style and all investments are so different, and for different reasons. There isn’t a right or wrong when it comes to choosing what works best for you. Know that each of your vendors are there any time you have a question. Trust they will guide you in the right direction to assure you that your wedding day will be THE BEST DAY EVER!
Once you have interviewed with your wedding photographer, and agreed on the investment package that works best for you, you will notice that many photographers, including myself offer complimentary engagement sessions. These sessions are so much fun to plan and are not just an engagement session. I love to think of these sessions as a chance to get to you know!
Now, with my sessions, they are voluntary. You do not need to schedule it should you decide not to but I love talking about them, and helping you to see the importance of having an engagement session.
Here are my top 5 reasons to have an engagement session:
#5: Get Comfortable in front of the camera before your big day!
– I love that engagement sessions can be thought of, of a way to get used to being in front of a camera before your wedding day! Many brides come to me and express that their groom is not interested in having their photos taken. I completely understand. Being in front of a camera is hard! It’s uncomfortable and you feel like you are put on the spot! I assure you that within 5 minutes of just meeting me, you will both begin to feel comfortable, your body language will grow confidence and you will feel great being together, as I capture your love for one another before the big day! Have those special little fur babies you want to include?? Bring them along! I’d LOVE it!
#4: It’s NOT just an engagement session, it’s a getting to know you session!
– Yes that’s right, let’s look at this as a getting to you know session! We get to spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes together. Let’s learn about one another! I want to hear how you met, how he proposed, anything and all wedding plans, you name it, I want to know all about it. It’s a great time for you to ask me questions, and one of the best things is that you get to see me work. You will see a glimpse of how I will interact with you on your wedding day, see the candid moments and the posed moments that I will assist you with but most of all, I want to see you. I want to see love and I want to capture everything about it.
– Many couples want to hang out a bit before the session to ease their nerves! Let’s! I Would LOVE to do that! We can grab an appetizer/drinks before we get started which can help to calm the nerves before you’re in front of the camera!
#3: Brides- Schedule this time for your hair and make-up trial!
– Well, maybe not the wedding day hair trial, but you can get a style blow out and definitely the make up! You will get to see how you look on camera with professional make up done. You will feel confident, look absolutely beautiful and you will love getting pampered before your session. When we schedule our session, together I will send you an Engagement Session Style Guide! It has awesome tips for you and him to look and feel your best. It will also help you with the dreaded questions of “what to wear?!” “How to accessorize?!” “What time of day should we do this?!” and turn it in to a big day for you! You deserve it!
#2: Turn it into a date night!
– You got your hair and make-up done, you are dressed to the nine’s! Choose a restaurant or movie and make it a date! Spend time in front of the camera first then head off for a nice night together OR invite me to your date. Having a photographer attend your date might look a little silly but it’s during this time I will capture raw moments of you together in a setting no one would think to have photos taken! If you need suggestions for dinner, I’d be happy to tell you a few places I love! Coffee date? Ice cream date?! Awesome! It’s all about the two of you. What would you feel most comfortable with?
#1: It’s Complementary with Ali B Photography when you book your wedding with me!
– As if all the reasons above are not enough to have an engagement session with me, all of my wedding investment packages include a complementary engagement session! You have a friend who can take your photos for you, you don’t feel comfortable in front of the camera, okay! I respect that, I think its so awesome! That’s so nice of your friend and I understand how being in front of the camera can be uncomfortable as I mentioned above, but like all of the reasons I have mentioned, I can help to ease those nerves and you will get a preview of what’s to come on the wedding day! These sessions are NOT mandatory. Whatever you choose is totally up to you. If you have questions or concerns about your engagement session, contact me! I would love to talk to you more about it!
So, what do you say?! Let’s connect and talk more about your engagement session!!
what style do you prefer?
B O L D o r N EU T R A L
D R E S S Y o r C A S UA L
C L A S S I C o r T R EN DY
These choices represent the three main decisions you will have to make in regards to your outfit choices. There are no right or wrong answers! Maybe you want one outfit to be dressy and the other to be casual. Maybe you want one outfit to be very light and neutral but you want to wear more color in the next outfit. These categories will hopefully help you determine what you’re hoping for in your engagement session. If you’re feeling stuck and can’t seem to determine what you prefer, that’s very normal!
Here are some general “rules of thumb” when it comes to styling during an engagement session. Once you read through these, you may have a better understanding of what you prefer and you can start planning your outfits. These “rules of thumbs” are based off of my experience and aren’t concrete rules that can’t be broken. However, if you have questions about one of them in regards to what you want to wear, just email me and we can talk about what would be best! :
Things to Avoid:
1. Colors to avoid : bright reds, neons, bright oranges (they reflect color onto skin and can be difficult to edit!)
2. Avoid patterns smaller than a quarter : Tiny patterns cause something called “Chromatic Aberration” in digital images. Men’s checkered shirts are fine if the “checks” are on the larger side.
3. Alternate Heaviness: If one of you is wearing very dark jeans, the other may want to wear lighter pants. If one of you is wearing a navy top, the other shouldn’t wear a dark/heavy colored top. To a certain degree, alternating the “heaviness” of your outfits can make your images look more balanced.
4. Avoid one of you being casual while the other is more dressy: This can look a bit awkward in photos. If one of you is dressed up and the other is casual, it can look a little odd in your images.
5. Other things to avoid: Tennis shoes, Graphic tees, Bold logos on shirts, Sunglasses & Baseball Hats
ROMANTIC STYLE RECIPE
If you’re hoping for a more romantic style of shoot that includes “light” and “airy” colors, you can actually make outfit choices that will lend your images to turn out brighter, softer and extra photogenic! Here are some ingredients that go into creating a romantic styled shoot. It’s important to note that you do not need to choose all of these ingredients in order to have a light and airy style to your images but the more ingredients you include, the more romantic it will be:
– Neutral Colors: Blushes, tans, light pinks, faint blues and light minty teals, creams, grays and whites will always result in more of a light and airy look in your images. These colors photograph softer and more romantically!
– Long, Flowy Skirts/Dresses: Dresses and skirts with feminine ruffles, multiple layers of fabric and the ability to blow and move in the wind will always photograph beautifully! You would be amazed at how impactful moving fabric softens an image.
– Khakis vs. Jeans: If you really want your images to be as bright as possible, consider having your groom wear lighter pants instead of dark dress pants or dark jeans.
B R I GHT & B O L D R E C I P E
Just like the “Romantic” recipe, you don’t have to apply all of these “ingredients to get a perfectly BRIGHT & BOLD look to your engagement session. These ingredients include:
– Only one wears a pattern: If one of you has a bold pattern, it’s very important that the other doesn’t. The more bold the pattern, the more important this rule is!
– Bold Backgrounds: A lot of time, if my couples are going for a bold and bright look, I will notice solid colored backgrounds to use for part of their engagement session! It’s a double win if the background coordinates
with their outfits!
– Only one bold color: If you really want a bold and bright look but you want to do it well and tastefully, I would suggest that only one of you have a bright and bold colored outfit and the other stay in a solid
neutral to avoid over-doing it!
– Large Patterns are Preferred: If you really want to wear a pattern, my only request is that your pattern is on the larger side. Patterns that are smaller than a quarter can be difficult to photograph. This isn’t true of
all patterns but it’s a good general rule to go by!
So there you have it! Hope this post is helpful for you in planning your engagement session style! Feel free to comment below or email with if you have any questions!
I can not believe it has been 6 months since I last saw this family for Aiden’s newborn session! It is 100% true what they say, the days are long but the years are short. Before I knew it, February was approaching and I knew we needed to get this 6 month photo session in before their little features were not so little anymore! A few weeks ago I went back to their house and we had our session together capturing those candid lifestyle moments and I have to say, I just love sessions like this! This was so laid back, mom Breann was amazing handling her big kid, little kid and fur baby. She’s a natural! I loved catching up with her about life and hearing all of the little milestones Aiden has been achieving!
He was such a good baby during our session, fully idolizing his brother and not minding at all when his dog would walk on him. He is just starting to sit up but mom said he still needs assistance. We attempted to see if he could sit up on his own toward the end of our session and sure enough, HE DID IT! He mastered sitting up and I was there to see it! I was so proud and so excited I got to be there to capture those moments for mom and dad!
I am so excited to see them again for Aiden’s 1st Birthday session! Breann, TJ, Owen and Aiden, thank you so much, again for opening up your home to me to capture this first year of Aiden with you! He is going to have so many new milestones happening within the next few months and when I see you all again, I am so excited to see the difference just 6 more months make! Owen, thanks for keeping me on my toes and always laughing! You are such a great big brother! It is so clear that Aiden looks up to you so much already! Here are just a few of my favorites from out session together! xo.
When it comes to winter weather, you really have no idea what you’re going to get. One day in New England its in the mid 60’s and then the next day it’s back to the low 30’s. It’s windy, it’s rainy… it’s sunny… whatever it is, you just don’t know exactly what it will be. When scheduling an engagement session, you really have no idea and you hope for the best weather.
Catherine and Ryan had set up their engagement session with me not long after meeting them. I’ve always loved it when my couples book either their wedding or their engagement session during the winter because I am always hoping for snow! Snow is just so magical to me and photographs so nicely! Well, we had some snow that had been on the ground for a little bit. Instead, we got a forecast that called for rain, however, it held off until after our session. We had some wind and some over cast skies and we all learned to embrace it! With the wind, we were pretty cold, but I FINALLY remembered to bring my hand warmers and those bad boys worked wonders!
Catherine and Ryan are so relaxed, up for anything and they trusted me. It’s hard enough to feel comfortable having your pictures taken in normal situations, but these two made it easy even with the wind and foggy areas! We started our session at Faneuil Hall in Boston and walked to Christopher Columbus Park and then to the Boston Harbor Hotel. I loved getting to shoot this area from the other side of the Sea Port!
I had the best time getting to know them and I am so excited for their wedding day! Here are a few favorites from our time together. xoxo