Can I just tell you that when I saw Katelyn get out of the car, I was so excited to meet her and when I saw her beautiful dress, I said Girl! We match!! I was wearing a light pink shirt with stripes so I felt like we all matched for our session together so if we got separated, someone could have helped point us in the direction of the other one wearing pink stripes! haha.
Katelyn and Ben were so much fun! I just loved how much he made her laugh! They have the sweetest personalities and it’s evident how in love they are. Katelyn’s daughter Alexa joined us for this session and it was so amazing to see how much Ben loves her too! The way he looks at both of his girls made makes my heart smile! What an amazing story they have and an amazing little girl who will be in their wedding standing next to them as they exchange their vows.
Katelyn, Ben and Alexa, Thanks for hanging out with me on the most perfect August night! The location you picked is one of my favorites and I am so thankful for you guys getting in the quick sandy waters for an epic family photo! I hope you love your photos and I can not wait to see you for your wedding day!
I just love when I get to explore different places with my wonderful couples! Callie and John chose 2 destinations for their engagement session and I am so excited to share with you the magic that happened! Callie and John were going to have their engagement session a few weeks ago but the weather was not looking good. Even if it cleared up for their session, she was really hoping to have a beautiful sun set and not the over cast clouds. So, we decided to move their session and boy oh boy, I know I am excited, and they are excited that we did!
The weather for their engagement session could not have been any more perfect! It felt like a fall day here in New England and the sun did exactly what I was hoping it would! We started our session at World’s End in Hingham, MA. We found the most perfect tree that had the sun directly behind it which is where we started the session! The magic in these photos with the way the sun is glowing through the trees makes me so happy!
Callie and John were so amazing and up for anything I suggested! They were naturals in front of the camera and I just loved the way they look at each other! I am so excited to photograph their wedding day next year! Callie and John, Thank you so much for a fun night! You guys were such troopers climbing the rocks at the beach (in heels Callie!) Thank you thank you thank you!! I have so many favorites from our session together, grab a coffee and check them out!! xoxo
This past month I have had 2 engagement sessions at the same location in Boston! Both couples chose to have their engagement shoot at the Harvard Arboretum… and guess what?? These sessions look nothing alike! The Harvard Arboretum is so big, each session I have had here have all been in different areas! I don’t know about you but I am lovingggggg all of these engagement sessions I have been having this year!
This engagement session is so special because it’s been a long time coming for these two! They have been dating for 9 years and are planning their 2021 wedding. Bobby proposed on their vacation trip to Aruba. Bobby and Sarah were walking at sunset along the beach on our way to meet his family for a dinner reservation on the other side of the island when he asked if Sarah if they should take a photo at the end of the pier – a few short minutes later he dropped down to a knee and asked! Sarah said her first words were “What are you doing?” – followed by a shell-shocked yes and an even longer embrace in which her usual non-stop chattering self was speechless. Want to know something funny?? When PJ asked me to marry him, my first words were also ” What are you doing?!” So when Sarah told me this story in our first emails back and fourth, I knew I could not wait to meet them!
These two have such a fun personality! They were so friendly and kind. I loved my time with them so much! It may have been a little humid, and a little hot and sticky, but you would never know in these images! You also can’t tell that we walked up a really steep hill to get some amazing shots in tall grass and while we ( I ) was out of breath shooting, these two photogenic people were all for it and did not complain once! I knew that walking that hill was so worth it! As you scroll through these images you’ll fall in love with their smiles and the way they look at one another! I cannot WAIT for their wedding day!
Bobby and Sarah, thank you for letting me take you all around and up the hills at the Harvard Arboretum! You are so much fun to spend time with, and I honestly think I could have stayed and talked with you all night!!! I still can not believe that you had an amazing glowy sun set and once our session was over, as I turned my car on to head back home, it rained the whole way! Enjoy my favorites and get excited to see your full gallery soon!
We were looking at the forecast a few days before this session and my heart kept sinking each time I saw thunderstorms with a 60% chance of rain on and off all day. We had our session scheduled for 6:30pm, two hours before sun set and the forecast at that time was all over the place. It went from a high percent of rain to one where it would still be okay to have a session. We talked throughout the day and decided to go for it and man, I am so excited we did! While it down-poured driving through Boston, it stopped when I arrived at the Harvard Arboretum. With over cast skies, and zero rain the whole time we were together, we kept saying how happy we were not to cancel. I just love this location and I am so excited to share their photos with you!
Colleen and Keith have a really fun story to share about how they met! If this isn’t fate, I don’t know what is! ” We have a great story about how we met. I was studying abroad in Amsterdam and decided to visit some other friends who were studying abroad in Ireland during St. Patty’s Day weekend. When we were out one night I actually met Keith in a pub! After that weekend I flew back to Amsterdam and heard from my sister a few weeks later… she was asking if I met a guy named Keith while I was in Ireland? I said I did and it just so happens that Keith was a substitute teacher for my sister at the same place where I went to high school! So I eventually come back home and it turns out that Keith was living 10 minutes away from the house I grew up in. It also turns out that he graduated from the same college as me 2 years before (Stonehill College), we had the same major, same academic adviser and we just never crossed paths! Two and a half years later we’re engaged! :)” How amazing is their story?! I really do believe that things happen for a reason!
Colleen and Keith, I loved getting to hang out with you guys! I am so excited for your wedding day and I am also so excited to share this blog and your final images with you! Thank you so much for braving the rain and meeting with me! It was a perfect night and still can not believe we had zero rain! Enjoy this little sneak peek of your engagement photos! These are just a few of my favorites! xo.
Congratulations! You’re engaged! This is such an exciting time for you, and I am so happy you stopped by! Now that you said YES and shared this exciting news with all of your family and friends, it’s time to get to work! Let the wedding planning begin!
From setting the date and choosing the perfect venue, to the DJ, hiring a wedding planner, deciding to use a rental business and next the wedding photographer, you are in the right place!
As you choose your vendors that fit best for you and your fiancé, you will see that everyone, every style and all investments are so different, and for different reasons. There isn’t a right or wrong when it comes to choosing what works best for you. Know that each of your vendors are there any time you have a question. Trust they will guide you in the right direction to assure you that your wedding day will be THE BEST DAY EVER!
Once you have interviewed with your wedding photographer, and agreed on the investment package that works best for you, you will notice that many photographers, including myself offer complimentary engagement sessions. These sessions are so much fun to plan and are not just an engagement session. I love to think of these sessions as a chance to get to you know!
Now, with my sessions, they are voluntary. You do not need to schedule it should you decide not to but I love talking about them, and helping you to see the importance of having an engagement session.
Here are my top 5 reasons to have an engagement session:
#5: Get Comfortable in front of the camera before your big day!
– I love that engagement sessions can be thought of, of a way to get used to being in front of a camera before your wedding day! Many brides come to me and express that their groom is not interested in having their photos taken. I completely understand. Being in front of a camera is hard! It’s uncomfortable and you feel like you are put on the spot! I assure you that within 5 minutes of just meeting me, you will both begin to feel comfortable, your body language will grow confidence and you will feel great being together, as I capture your love for one another before the big day! Have those special little fur babies you want to include?? Bring them along! I’d LOVE it!
#4: It’s NOT just an engagement session, it’s a getting to know you session!
– Yes that’s right, let’s look at this as a getting to you know session! We get to spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes together. Let’s learn about one another! I want to hear how you met, how he proposed, anything and all wedding plans, you name it, I want to know all about it. It’s a great time for you to ask me questions, and one of the best things is that you get to see me work. You will see a glimpse of how I will interact with you on your wedding day, see the candid moments and the posed moments that I will assist you with but most of all, I want to see you. I want to see love and I want to capture everything about it.
– Many couples want to hang out a bit before the session to ease their nerves! Let’s! I Would LOVE to do that! We can grab an appetizer/drinks before we get started which can help to calm the nerves before you’re in front of the camera!
#3: Brides- Schedule this time for your hair and make-up trial!
– Well, maybe not the wedding day hair trial, but you can get a style blow out and definitely the make up! You will get to see how you look on camera with professional make up done. You will feel confident, look absolutely beautiful and you will love getting pampered before your session. When we schedule our session, together I will send you an Engagement Session Style Guide! It has awesome tips for you and him to look and feel your best. It will also help you with the dreaded questions of “what to wear?!” “How to accessorize?!” “What time of day should we do this?!” and turn it in to a big day for you! You deserve it!
#2: Turn it into a date night!
– You got your hair and make-up done, you are dressed to the nine’s! Choose a restaurant or movie and make it a date! Spend time in front of the camera first then head off for a nice night together OR invite me to your date. Having a photographer attend your date might look a little silly but it’s during this time I will capture raw moments of you together in a setting no one would think to have photos taken! If you need suggestions for dinner, I’d be happy to tell you a few places I love! Coffee date? Ice cream date?! Awesome! It’s all about the two of you. What would you feel most comfortable with?
#1: It’s Complementary with Ali B Photography when you book your wedding with me!
– As if all the reasons above are not enough to have an engagement session with me, all of my wedding investment packages include a complementary engagement session! You have a friend who can take your photos for you, you don’t feel comfortable in front of the camera, okay! I respect that, I think its so awesome! That’s so nice of your friend and I understand how being in front of the camera can be uncomfortable as I mentioned above, but like all of the reasons I have mentioned, I can help to ease those nerves and you will get a preview of what’s to come on the wedding day! These sessions are NOT mandatory. Whatever you choose is totally up to you. If you have questions or concerns about your engagement session, contact me! I would love to talk to you more about it!
So, what do you say?! Let’s connect and talk more about your engagement session!!