Friends! I say this all the time when I look at my kids- ” WHAT HOW DID YOU GET SO BIG!?” Then, Ethan usually comes up to my legs and has me measure him. Then he will run back to back with Henry and compare heights together. It’s the cutest thing.
I know what you think when this happens, as I too am thinking the same thing- Where did the time go? Sure, the days are long but the years are short! Each season of our lives are so different from one another and many times, the seasons (good and bad) go by and we have no evidence from that time period. I know that I am a culprit of this. Me, a photographer, who LOVES her job so much, struggles to get in the frame, and struggles to take photos of all four of us as a family. Now, I understand the importance of family photography, which is why this year, it WILL happen for our family. We WILL get family photos and from now on, we WILL get them 1-2 times per year by another photographer.
These milestones come and go and it is so important to freeze that time to look back and remember life in that moment.
Here are 10 reasons why you should have a family portrait session:
- It Savors that moment in time– Each family is different from one another. Everyone is changing and growing. This is one reason why I love my job! Many of my clients come back to see me year after year, sometimes multiple times a year and the differences are just so amazing. It really only takes a few months to see changes in your family, and documenting that time is precious.
- Family sessions are FUN– I know that many people dread family portraits, I completely understand. My husband is one to dread them. Many people opt for the portrait sessions from JC Penny, which is great if that is the style you want however that does not sound very fun at all for anyone. Sessions don’t need to be that way! If you have a session with me, I promise you capture images that are YOU and not just staged in a studio. I love it when everyone is themselves. I provide my clients with a style guide and I play with the kiddos. I give prompts in moments where I am not getting that genuine smile or laughter and I am not kidding when I say the hour goes by so fast!
- Giving the gift of Smiles– When you are struggling to find that perfect gift for a loved one, nothing comes close to the personalization of a family portrait. With my sessions you recieve an online gallery with over 60 images that are edited to my style. You gain the rights to those photos meaning you can print them and enlarge them from any photo lab, or you can order right from my website! These make perfect gifts for grandparents!
- Instant Home Decor- I LOVE home decor! The people who inspire me with decor ideas, I follow in Instagram! (@Jordecor, @Misdiy, @Laurenmcbride to name a few) You can print your photos, frame them, enlarge them to a canvas, make a photo book and they will add a little something to your home styling personality. **FUN FACT: did you know that hanging up portaits in the home help to increase childrens self esteem? Studies show that having your family photographed and having your loving portraits displayed prominently in your home sends the message that your family is important to one another…and that you honor the memories you created together.
- You can get the WHOLE family in the photo– How often do you get to see the WHOLE family? The great thing about a family session is that you can add on as many people as you need. My sessions include up to 5 people and everyone after that, is an additional cost. I love when I get contacted for extended family sessions. Many times these sessions are used for gifts to parents and grandparents and it really is so nice! I am able to get the group as a whole, and each family individually plus I focus on the parents together and the kids. It’s so much fun and it goes by really fast!
6. BIG MILESTONE- Your baby is 1. They just started walking and its time to capture that huge moment! Mom, dad, you did it! You survived your first year of parenthood! Sleepless nights, spit up all over, those wonderful diaper explosions, I know… I have been there! CELEBRATE IT! Maybe you’re having a baby, maternity sessions are so beautiful to cherish that time together before your life changes forever, and document that perfect baby bump. High school graduation? You name it! There are tons of milestone we all go through and making sure we capture that time is so important!
7. Locations– Do you have a happy place? A place where your family loves to be? I will meet you there! Let’s go! I love shooting at so many different locations in New England (and beyond) and when that location has a meaning to you and your family it makes it even more personable than the session already is!
8. These photos are natural and represent who you are– It is not just about saying “cheese”. I have other tricks up my sleeve that will help to get your genuine personalities to shine in your photos. However, a tip for you if your photographing at home- Have your little one say “Honey” it helps relax their face and the smile will not look forced.
9. You can relieve these memories– Photographs bring back all kinds of feels. You can look back on your images and remember how you felt before the session, during the session and when receiving your final gallery. You will remember what life was like and you can talk about it with family and friends. How amazing is that?!
10. Family sessions are an investment- I know that many people stop thinking about family portraits because of the cost. Professional photography can be expensive but knowing that when you invest in a quality service, you are investing in something that will be valuable for a lifetime. It has value the moment you book your session and it then becomes more valuable throughout the years. These images are high quality. The experience if fun and I can not wait to meet you!